Thursday 29 September 2016

{Colour Blast DT} Water colouring with Mica Powders

Hello there fellow Colour Blast lovers! I'm here with you today sharing this fun pocket page I put together using the Mica Powders in the Colour Blast range for a project I am working on called Learn Something New Every Day. I tell you the name as, as you can see, I have used the letters LSNED on my "cover page" for this project to make this an obvious change of pace as this project will make it's way into our 2016 annual PL album :)

This was super fun project to put together, basically, water colouring and I am super happy with how it came out! You can see my entire (well most of it, somehow I ran out of room on my phone while I thought I was recording!!) process here on my YT channel - make sure to subscribe so you can see all of my projects that are uploaded!!

Otherwise here is my process!

First up I picked the Mica Powders I wanted to use to match the collection I had decided to use for this project so I pulled out a pattered paper with all the collection colours on it and ended up choosing ALL the colours (which are watermelon, wisteria, peach nectar, lemon zing, polar, cool mint and olive grove) except the espresso. Before I did any painting I did put a quick think coat of clear gesso across my whole page and dried that with my heat tool as I was fairly certain I would be using a lot of water!


Don't they look so, so pretty sitting there all together!! So, as you can see you I have used my water colour brush to pick up the colour from the little pots and apply to the flowers I wanted to colour. I worked with one colour at a time so I didn't get myself confused! I did start by applying some plain water with a paint brush before applying the colour but found that that washed out the colour a bit more than I wanted so I ended up just using the water colour brush and the mica powders.

It's so hard to capture just how shiny and sparkly these powders but you can kind of see it in the above photo!

After I had done most of the page I felt that I needed a couple of other colours so I pulled out some of my sprays - both the colour spray (flat colour) and the shimmer spray (pretty, shimmery colours!) and mixed and matched to get the best colour matches I could! I can't remember exactly what combination I used but I KNOW that I used the Snow White, Tangereen Dream and Deep Water in the Shimmer Spray and the Bubblegum and Lagoon in the Colour Spray.


Once all the colours were dried I cut down my 12" x 12" paper to 6 4" x 6" pieces to fit into the page protector I had decided to use. I knew all along that I would only decorate the bottom right hand card and here is the finished card.


I pulled in a sticker sheet from the collection pack I'm using, a flair from my stash, some pink alphas for the 2016, a few random enamel dots and also a stamp that says September. The big letters I cut on white card stock on my cameo and then used a 0.7mm pen to give them a sketchy outline.

As you can see in that close up I have also used the awesome Roadbase Colour Spray (I seriously love, love, love this product!) to leave some black sprinkles all across the page.


I will leave you with this photo of my completed page and a close up/different angle where you can see some more of that shimmer! I hope this has inspired you to pull out some of your own powders or even the sprays and give water colouring a go - so easy and so effective!! 




If you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them below or even on the YT vid, I will get back to you ASAP!!



Thanks for stopping by today and have a great scrappy day!

Melinda

No comments:

Post a Comment